CWL ~ 2 Thoughts On Editing The Rough Draft

CWL ~ 2  Thoughts On Editing The Rough Draft



Step 1)  shorten it
 
First thing I noticed as reading it is it seems a bit long for a tale so will shorten it.  I am not sure which parts I will cut yet.  But each Legend should be a short tale instead of a short story, if that makes sense...  short but sweet  :p  

I will need to decide which parts to cut though, so the beginning build up will need to be trimmed a lot.  But I think it is a good way to get started on a story.  Just begin writing it out.  Even knowing it will most likely be cut later it helps fill the story out in your own mind.  I think as you are creating it, you are sort of explaining it to yourself too in a way.  I think about the halfway point is where the story really starts, at least for me.  

Step 2)  lot unexplained

I purposefully did not explain each little thing the spirit and nether realms did.  I think it needs to assume you are familiar with the "world" even if this is your first moment stepping into it.  So these will not explain each thing someone outside the character did to/for her.

Step 3)  Main character

Raven is the main character and I need to focus on her.  It is like the Mad Son has a great back story but it will not be told in this tale.  This is all Raven.  I think I will need to shave up to where her friend got married and she began to dream of "Silk" as more a warrior right about then too...  This is what drives the story.   

(My old word processor used to capitalize if I did 2 spaces so I got used to it doing it for me.  Sorry if my sentences are not capitalized, never use auto-correct!!  Driving myself crazy trying to catch each one!!!)

This is a time of Magic still so it is much different then our world but people are used to 'magic' nowadays so it wont seem very strange that we had it too...


Step 4)  Sounding Translated

I will try to make it sound more translated, like this tale was in our own language originally but told to me in English so sounds translated...   I want it to be subtle though, you don't notice it but just think I must have heard it from my mother who heard it from hers sort of thing...  hehe

Step 5)  Intriguing

The legends are hopefully written leaving you wanting to know more!  that is what I am thinking when I planned it out.  Reading one will make you want to read another and another and lead you to my novels, films, etc...


So, going to cut it by half maybe, try to make it sound a bit more translated and hopefully create a thirst for more  :p

hugs,

~Sea


Comments

Popular Posts