Frugal Living

Frugal Living

I am so interested in learning the ways of my tribe!  I know we wasted nothing and that is a hard thing to try when you were raised a "big city girl" (hehe, Anchorage is the biggest city at around 450,000 or so I believe). 

I can remember my mom saving onion skins all year long and wondering why she would do that.  She used it as a dye at Easter.  They lived in a wondrous island away from the world a lot like I imagine in those martial art movies where the heroes want to find a spot away from people!

So, we came what I call "turning Vegetarian" about 10 years ago now.  We still bought bread and pastries that may have animal products in them, that sort of thing.  So we called it "turning vegetarian" since it was a goal we aspired to.  The girls were half into it wholeheartedly and half wondering how to escape it in prepared pastry and such...

We found many substitutes that work well now that we are used to this lifestyle for the most part.  We try hard to be vegan and that is hard here in Anchorage for us!  Fresh fruit is so expensive!  We want to add on a greenhouse attached to the southern backside of the house soon!  I watched some YouTube videos about it and find it so fascinating!  The advances in the technology and knowledge are much different then even a decade ago!



Now it seems possible but even more then that, it seems practical!  Trying to see if I can embed the video...  Woot, it appears to me above this portion, so yeah!  That was the one I watched that inspired me to begin planning one myself! 

Course, the first part of that plan is to get a nice savings going so I can set a realistic budget and all of that.  So going "frugal" is what we decided to do...

While it is interesting and fun to try doing things for ourselves, we also can apply this knowledge to our media company later on too!  Sewing our own clothes an turn into sewing our own costumes for the films!  So, it is a practical idea to invest in a sewing machine and some fabric.  Learning to craft things like our own soap, candles, face and body creams, etc. will help us when it comes time to do our films too!  knowledge wont ever be wasted!  So, we have begun small.  Teaching one how to sew her own patchwork pillowcase!

A lady who lives in a similiar climate inspired me to think about doing this too:


I love that idea!  I think every kid has tried the toothpick and avocado thing and then not thought of it again, right??!!  It is a great idea, especially if you live in an area where organic produce is pricey!

Making our own beauty products is an idea we have always had.  To gain enough experience to open our own little shop would be so cool!



I would love to hear your tips on ways to be frugal!  It is so important to learn to be a community, even if it is only ever online!  I will try to post things I learn as I go along, and also when I start my Youtube channel about it!

hugs,

~Sea





Comments

Popular Posts