Script Writing

Script Writing

I really enjoy it, I wanted to talk a bit about it, to other writers out there wondering about it. But I usually end up getting in the writing mood late at night and my mind wanders something fierce so I do apologize!  but do enjoy the ride!

I do believe anyone can write but not everyone is a 'writer'.  It takes a certain kind of creative mind to conceive an idea and then put it down on paper.  It is fun and something I really want to do as my "job".  Right now I am calling myself "director/writer/producer" because a small indie company wont succeed unless the main person can do more then one of the required jobs!

The best way to find out is to finish one project.  If you think you want to write novels, finish one!  I think so many can conceive an idea but then never actually sit down and write it until it is done...

Right now I have 3 finished feature length films,one in the style of "supernatural thriller", one in the style of "serial killer" and one in the style of "zombie apocalypse" all with what I am calling the Unangan twist  :p     I have a tv show (pilot and 6 episodes) completed.  So once I get the equipment I want, I am ready to hit the ground running!

I have ideas for the second season of that same tv show, not completed...
I have a realty tv show season in my mind but not completed...
I have another blah blah blah ~not completed...

It is easy to think of ideas, but you must finish them, or at least one to show that you can.

How did I manage to complete one?  Well, I have been working on the novels for ages and ages.  I conceived a sort of trilogy series that would be written at the same time, one thriller, one cozy cottage and one literature.  I kept jumping around and around, so tons of good ideas on each (each book in the series plus next books themes and so on) but none actually completed.  I got another idea for a more Indigenous series and began working on that one.  It became a theme I am calling the Bride of Sorrows.  It will include the trilogy I started earlier as one of her "lives".  I love the freedom it gives me while being a "whole".  

What really made me work to finish it was something silly...  Slash (the amazing guitarist) was getting divorced.  I told myself if I could get the films written and made in time I could maybe actually meet him.  I had seen his first movie and love the concept of his second.  I wanted us to be able to talk 'film" if we ever met.  I motivated myself by picturing what I really wanted and that it was within my reach.  Will I ever meet Slash?  Probably not.  Will he fall madly in love with my mind?  Probably not, besides I heard he loves the new/old girlfriend so...   But I got the trilogy written and completed!

I knew what was popular and tried to write one of each.  I think they will be very good.  My newest idea came to me the other night when watching American Werewolf in London again.  I pictured writing an Alaskan one and pictured it in my mind.  But I kept changing it from that style as I conceived it so it became my werewolf story instead of the next great American Werewolf, but that is ok.   Fans of that film will watch mine out of curiosity and that will make them want to see more of my work!

Self-Motivate!  No matter how silly it seems, no one has to know what it was!
Complete one script or novel, just do it!

Browse the funding sites.  A lot seem to be designed to draw you in and you buy their whatever in hopes it will show you are serious about it.  A real one will look at your talent and not your purchases.  Not to say I haven't bought stuff out of curiosity.  Most were bought on super sales where they wanted like $140 but on sale now for $25.  I wanted to check I was not missing something important.  I wasn't... but apply for ones you think you have half a shot at!  But don't buy their courses unless you can easily afford such things!  If you can easily afford such things you can always hire me to babysit you through the novel (as long as you travel up here to Anchorage to finish it) hehe...  

So dont think you need to spend money on their courses or whatever.  If you are a writer, then write!  It truly is as simple as that!  Join a community, either in real life or online to meet others.  It is how I got this tv true crime job.  Watching D4Darious saying to network! 







I wanted to find someone who needed my talents (director/writer/producer/determined) and found this true crime group.  It is really good advice.  I am working on it a lot, but it is a great experience!  I will make just enough to get the special effect stuff to begin practicing that.  But it is great for me!  Not only gaining valuable experience but making some $$    D4Darious is a good channel to watch for ideas and confidence!  His site is great advice and fun to watch!  Just binge on him some afternoon! 

I plan to do my werewolf movie as my next big project.  I want to be better before I do my BOS stuff...  So, this will draw in a lot since it wont take long to film, isnt a big cast, and we can finish filming in 10 days. Course it might take me longer to do the editing, but it will be time well spent!  Making the special effects will teach me a lot and my crew will get better faith in me!

We are creating a new word, not thought of it yet...

A neologism ...

Prehistoric
Ecology
"Preeco" ~one of European descent who believes in Nature and follows indigenous ways and respects them as the rulers of these lands.

#Preeco #neologism

Eh, will do for now (tis 2am here) and can pretty it up in the morning!

So, believe in yourself.  I have already gotten 5 rejected funding applications but each one spurs me to try harder, work better, think smarter, refine and hone my talent!  The big one I am hoping for, I have not heard yet, so staying positive and showing I am learning and working toward my goal!

I believe I put "raised 4 daughters so am excellent at multitasking with no budget" as my main experience and reason to fund me  :p   They must not have been as impressed as I expected, but I like to think it dazed them and they are reeling in the glory of my talent  :p    Life is our experience and what we use as writers, so never be ashamed to put down what you do or did! 


Hugs ~Sea

Comments

Popular Posts