CWL ~1 Trying to Create A Legend

Creative Writing Legends 1 ~ Trying To Create A Legend

In my stories, they are told by an Indigenous who shows it in her writing, or tries to!  Lol, I first should say that with my rough drafts I worry more for getting the idea down then correct grammar so apologize to all those who really hate bad grammar!  I am sending it to my editor but she goes to school full time works almost full time so will edit these when she gets a chance as I said they are low priority...  so besides that, here is my thoughts for creating it...

Idea:

For my low budget horror film:  S'happens, I have a full moon 2 weekends in a row so wanted to create a legend to explain it.  Lol, my Bride of Sorrows (BOS) is  sci fi version of my culture so I do not mind creating a legend of sorts...  the Raven and the Moon are popular tales in Alyeska, so it seemed to fit...

 I wrote in an earlier one I could not decide whether to make it a romantic one or a more warrior one so decided to make it a bit of both...  I am writing several legends for my BOS stuff but decided to show this as part of this Creative Writing Process since it will be a bit before I do the videos... and I have mentioned the werewolf one a lot already...

My first paragraph had her nick named Aly for Alyeska but decided it did not fit with her being a super shy and bit slow girl.  Decided Raven fit the "Moon" theme...

Tales:

 In stories/tales passed down, every little thing is not explained, it is assumed you know the earlier ones already...  so that is how I tried with this.  I think I mostly hinted at the Spirit and nether realms and how they impact our world...  So I intentionally did not explain every thing happening sort of behind the scenes.  This is not the first legend ever told, right??!!  hehe

So it (hopefully) serves to help create interest in my BOS projects as well as explain away a rare full moon two weekends in a row...  

 Setting:

In my stories, we could easily travel the great lengths to Asia or towards Anchorage even.  Part skill and part magic...  In my stories it is pre-contact so our magic is intact and not hidden.  Travel to Asia was as easy as travel to the next island over.  We traded with the whole Orient from Siberia to India and all of Alyeska (including what war criminals call Canada)...

There is free travel from village to village though most prefer their own village for whatever reasons.  Some like more isolated, some less, it is all equal.  

Raven:

I did not want to make her a village idiot, since she is not that slow.  But in a village where there is so much time and so little to do, people become experts at things or so it seems.  So one who is perfectly average can seem dim and slow in comparison is the idea.  

I try not to make it obvious she is becoming "Silk" as she travels away from her village for long periods of time.  But it is also just stories in her head.  Intervention by the spirits and Others makes her into their dreams from her tales...  Does she know it is happening?  who knows...

The Mad Son:

To keep people from going crazy, which can happen in this sort of lifestyle, your spirit would keep a journal.  From that your sanity could be judged...  What is not told in the tale and will not be added is his backstory.  It is assumed he went mad because he upset an Other or even worse, a Spirit.  His importance is his relation to Raven.  It will be assumed that his spirit journal showed he needed a rest or perhaps he simply looked at the wrong girl on his travels!  

The Moon:

I placed her next to the door rather then the window to show her entering his life...  might be goofy but I liked it...  

The idea is the spirits want to make this match so make the moon glow so when he opens his eyes and sees her, she enchants him as her stories did!



Not quite like my other short story, but you write for different reasons, right?  That one, Soulless, was to create a cool story for my doll prank short film called "Soulless" and this one is to explain how a double moon came to be  :p

 How will I change it?  Not sure yet, will put it away a few days and see what I loved about it.  Maybe all of it, maybe none of it, who knows... right now it is how I pictured it is all I can say.  I will try to make it sound more translated though I think...  want it to sound passed down through the ages instead of written "yesterday" sort of feel I guess..  

 I hope you enjoy these, they are fun to write and to show.  Well, more nervous then fun to show, but I think it will help one writer somewhere who needs a little bit of a push to do their own stuff and that is what matters to me.

hugs,

~Sea 



Comments

Popular Posts