Playing with Shadows

Playing with Shadows

One of the things I have always loved in photography is shadows.  Something about them always interests me when I am looking at a photo.  I was playing with the concept the other night.  We use a back room as a studio and one of our lights with the white diffuser to cast soft light on them.


We took about a dozen photos but I will post 2 here for you.  In this one I wanted to see if I could get the book shadow better.  I had tried a few times but this came out the best for it.  We had tried different angles, most with me more in front of her instead of off to the side as I am in this one.  For props we decided to use the big stuffed dog that matched the carpet in that room.  Hard to see in this pic but she has a big pink heart over one eye and a cute heart patch on her bottom.  We wanted pinks to match her dress and the walls of the room.  


One thing I noticed is when posing a model you need to be aware of shadows, especially on her face.  A wrong shadow can make her face look dirty instead of "rembrandt light"…  I think I will try that next, lighting their faces and seeing if we can create unique looks.  They are very open to trying new things, even if they think it might look weird.  lol, I am glad to have them working with me!  Especially with their long hair, I absolutely love long hair.  I think it is so beautiful. 






Here I loved the way her dress created shades of shadows against the wall.  It interested me a lot even though she thought it was weird to want to capture it like this.  I had a cute one where she is looking over her shoulder trying to see what I was seeing, except it came out blurry.  

I love my camera, Sony A7S ii, but it is sensitive and I feel like a monster button pusher at times when trying to take pictures.  Lol, I think partly is I am using my other hand, I am left handed.  So it pushes it harder at times when I am getting interested in how it is coming out.  Plus I somehow push wrong buttons and change my settings accidentally, yikes!  Twice now I changed it to where it would slowly take a pic and it would be so blurry and it took me guesswork to fix it!  I will learn this camera and become it's master soon!





That reminds me, I took a cool one of shadows cast by a tree on a walk a while ago.  I think I will try to film one and create a gif of it…  gently moving shadows against the ground…    I think they are magical, maybe taking me back to childhood where shadows held such magic and adventure!  






Enjoy and I will be posting more writing soon, sorry I am slow at it!  

hugs,

~Sea

Comments

Popular Posts