The conversation started! Woot!

The conversation started!  Woot!

I love Youtube since you can usually find whatever you are in the mood for!  One channel I found recently was The Viet Vegan:



It is funny how super excited I feel to finally meet someone who understands how hard it is to frame the talks since it should not be a "blame" type of one at all!  She has been super nice in responding so I decided to blog about it!

The main problem the indigenous have is the words used to describe us!!  There are so many things I just don't understand about how they "westerners" think so it is so great to talk with someone about it where it can be a real conversation!!  

So subscribe to her even if you are not vegan, communication is a precious gift and we should encourage those who share it like she is!

I think the main thing we need to change is the words used!  I don't think she meant it in a bad way but she did say :  

The oppression that Aboriginal peoples have gone through is systematic—it's been reinforced over the hundreds of years of colonization, prejudice, and discrimination. I understand the gravity of Aboriginal history and why it's important to be aware, but I'm not really sure what we can do to atone. If you have any suggestions for productive and effective activism, I'm all ears.

It is sort of the "pat answer" we always hear from westerners who do not understand how rude it sounds!  I know she did not mean it rudely, no worries there!  It is why we need to give them a new vocabulary to use!

Colonialism changed to "Ladronism" as ladron is the Spanish word for thief.  Use the correct terminology from the start!

Systematic changed to continuing to this day, since it is!

Oppression of aboriginals changed to suppression of the Indigenous by armed and dangerous psychotic war criminals…

Aboriginal history changed to thriving vital cultures as we are not relics!!!

Atone and/or Apologize changed to :  I accept you as the rightful rulers of these lands...


What we need to do is establish that by "productive and effective" what you (lol, you meaning westerners as a whole and not you The Viet Vegan) are really saying is you do not want to change much.  That is where it becomes so hard to go on!  

One thing we need to establish firmly is if you (your parents I guess I mean) had come to the indigenous and said I need a safe haven you would have been welcomed, for a bit at least!  Enough to catch your breath and make plans for the future.  

See, when you put it in your mind that it is 100% our choice, then you get to the place you need to be in your mind to have a "productive and effective" conversation!  

When you said that part:  

When I said I don't see myself as an immigrant, I meant that I was born here. Where do I belong if not here?

 It did make me smile since it always sounds like "you have no say or choice about it so shut up already"…  We need to find a way to get everyone into the mindset that the indigenous of these lands (and there are so, so, so many!!!) have the only say!!!  Once westerners can finally reach "reality" then true and effective activism can occur!!  

When you are born into a system you are a part of (i.e. belong to) that system.  When that system is a criminal one and you become aware of it, then you must decide whether you are a criminal too or…  You can not just say "I was born here   ", you need to finish the sentence!!  Accept responsibility for your part, however unwitting!!  That small change can change everything!  If you can look at how things are and say "I want to change, please tell me how!"  ...

I really want to know how to phrase it so I don't make you squirm in your seat or feel like I mean you harm or think badly of you!!  I really don't, but can't think of a way to phrase it correctly!  You can imagine millions of people wanting to find a way to communicate these same ideas!  We so need to throw out that whole "blame game" mentality and find a way to just talk without all that "history" coming between us!  

That is how we can truly change the world, by just this, learning to understand each other!!  I truly am feeling so overjoyed to be having this conversation!  I think "miscommunication" between indigenous and westerners needs to stop!  There is a big difference between what you say and what we hear!  

Lol, it is so hard sometimes!  Wanting to explain things that should not need explaining!  I have a whole series planned on it, trying to use humor to ease everyone into it!  To a Westerner this happened ages ago but to me, it just happened, I am the first generation born away from my village!!  Yes, not hundreds of years ago, but in your lifetime!  

One is where I show a blond haired blue eyed woman dressed like a normal housewife but with a huge gun pointed at me.  I try to explain how it is really kind of rude to point a gun at someone like this and how some might even think of it as hostile.  She says she needs to protect herself from us.  I tell her look around, please. You are in my house, pointing a gun at me and my family, not the other way around!!!  She thinks about it, her eyes looking around the room to see if there is anything she really wants before deciding to agree.  She says but how can I not seem "hostile"?  I say, well you can give me the gun for a start!  

Short little skits like that, meant to be humorous but educational too… 

Hugs and feel free to comment!!   

~Sea


#indigenous #justice #communication #conversation #hope #happiness




Comments

Popular Posts