"Ginger Juice" recipe / food photography experiment

"Ginger Juice" recipe / food photography experiment

I love playing around with my camera and seeing if we can get a decent picture while trying new stuff…  It is fun and sometimes I get halfway decent ones.  here are the best of the latest batch.  My Arri lights are so powerful that I can't really use them for up close work so was playing around with a little flashlight we have, the kind that can go on the end of a keychain to help you unlock your door.  



These black ones I just draped the black part of the 5in1 reflector set over my iMac and placed the ginger on it with nothing underneath.  




The pics are a bit dark, I suppose, but I think that is my "style" since I love how it looks…  I know it is supposed to be light and bright but I guess I prefer it this way instead…




This is bulk ginger we got at Costco, first time I saw it there so was thrilled.  We already used our dehydrator on half and will use this other half to make what we call "ginger juice"


One trick I learned was to use a spoon to peel the ginger and I find it works very well though my daughters prefer the old fashioned peelers and especially the 'finger one' that is a little square one you slide on like a ring.



The little flashlight was fun to use and on the one above we placed one behind it to try to create a glow effect.  I had trouble getting the flashlight to stay in exactly the right position though so decided to just take the pic  :p 


Here are some of the unstained boards we got for the food photography.  We plan on buying stains.  One set we will keep just the stain and the other we will do a thin layer of paint then use a cloth to take most off again.  it seems to create a pretty effect, at least from DIY videos I watched about making them yourself…

This blue and white box was from my Steve Stevens order, got a poster, t-shirt and a signed ray gun!  I love his guitar playing, one of the guitar gods for sure!!  

Ginger Juice Recipe

Big stew or spaghetti pot just over 3/4 full of water  ~our pot is a tall one for big family size and not the normal size ones.  I would suggest using just half if you only have the normal size pot.

3 or 4 juice pitchers  ~depending on the size you will need at least 3 and maybe 4 if you like it weaker.

1 orange sliced

3 Lemon Zinger tea bags

3 mandarin orange spice tea bags

2 teas spoon honey ~or a bit more if you dont like the flavor of ginger that much or it "burns" your mouth.  Add more honey to cut that burn feeling, but not so much it ruins the other flavors.  2 tea spoons should be good…

peeled and sliced ginger ~ you can use one nice fresh clump but I am using about 1/2 the amount you see above in the first pic to make it.  

Add in the ginger and let it get to boiling then add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring it to a nice boil for a few minutes then simmer it for an hour.  Let it cool on the same spot for another hour or so.  Once it is cooled enough to pour into the pitchers, strain it with the spaghetti strainer to catch all the pieces then fill each pitcher with just over halfway of the juice.  Fill the rest with water.  This concentrate is strong so you do want to dilute it a bit, I found just over half of juice then the rest water works for us.  You can pour some into a glass halfway then add water and taste to see how you like it and adjust the amount of water to suit your tastes.  

We are 5 adult woman so we can drink the juice in a week easily, but if you are single then you can try freezing the rest (though I never have) or give it to a friend.  They will love it and want your recipe!  We make it about every other month and it goes fast.  I sometimes plan on freezing some in a zip lock so we can have it each week but it goes too fast  :p   

My sister tried it and always has "tummy" issues and loved it so much she snagged the picture to take home with her!!  It is that good!  We use Lemon Zinger and Mandarin Orange spice to flavor ours but I think you can adjust it to your favorites.  The fresh orange slices really give it a yummy flavor but if you do not have one you can skip it and it will still taste good, but try to remember to buy one.  You dont need a lot of the tea bags since it simmers a longer time then usual but it is a huge pot so no bitterness and only flavor comes out.  

It is so refreshing that you will probably drink 2 glasses in a row  :p  I hope you enjoy and please do comment if you tried it with other tea flavors and let me know how it came out!  

hugs,

~Sea
#foodphotography #ginger 



Comments

Popular Posts