Felting

Felting

I have been busy learning to felt!  Since the Kickstarter failed, I had a ton of wool and no spinning wheel  :p   So I watched some videos and decided to try my hand at felting.  

I will get pictures sometime this week, I need to let everything dry for a few days before they can model them for me.  It is fun though.  I tried a flat sheet first and it came out pretty good.  It reminds the girls of the same stuff that lines their boots, and I told them it actually is!  That was the tunis/shetland batt we got from The Woolery on sale.  I hope to buy a few more of them, I liked them!

I also got some Jacob and some Shetland with the hand carding kit and have been using those too.  I did wrist warmers since I plan to offer them as a reward in my next Kickstarter.  I did one with thumbholes and one without since that is what they preferred.  It is funny, I tried to make the first one look like a wolf and it came out vaguely wolflike!  The other was the numeric dyed ones with some undyed Jacob and it came out a bit cow-like.  But pretty.  Both have rough edges for the wild look.  I will get pics probably before the weekend!

The next thing I tried was a beret.  I forgot we turn it inside out at the end and put the colors of Merino wool I got from Etsy shops that I liked least on the inside.  So it was orange then a red-orange on the inside and the outside layers were the darker colors I like better.  But forgot until the end that we turn it inside out.  Luckily one of my daughters thinks the color is gorgeous and she loves orange, her favorite color is Pumpkin so I lucked out there!  

Next came a beret to sort of match the wolf west warmers and a cap where I tried a merino wool flower on one side with the leaves on the other.  It came out cute too.  I need to get some supplies to properly finish them though.  I need some milliner wire and some edging to make it look pretty and finished.  

I did a short scarf of just Merino wools in a thin layer to see how it felt to do just merino without the Jacob or Tunis/Shetland batt mixed in.  I did it as a neck warner instead of a scarf so it was meant to be short when done.  It came out pretty though there is one spot where I accidentally tore it a bit as I was felting it and did not notice right away so it has one edge a bit torn by accident.  There are spots I made thin on purpose to see how it holds up over time.  I want to know that it is quality made and will last even with a thin spot.  

Today I did a longer scarf.  I used the Tunis Shetland batt, peeled so it became 3 pieces instead of one thick one and laid it out as the foundation.  Next I had to hand card some more fiber since I had used up all the ones I had hand carded when I first got it!  I used Shetland since the batt has Shetland in it.  I did that the opposite direction for durability then laid out the merino in a rainbow pattern across it.  I did it thin so the natural color shows through and the backside is completely natural color.  I think it is very pretty and can be sort of reversible this way.  It is just long enough to wrap around the shoulders but not long like a shawl really.  

I spent the evening hand carding the rest of a bag of the Shetland for tomorrows project.  I think I will card some of the Navajo Churro and attempt a wolf pattern mitten to match the wrist warmers and hat!  I am not sure yet if I will, I will need to see the mood I am in.  Artiste and the artistic temperament  :p

But I am so excited about it.  I plan to try another kickstarter, a small one for around $150 just to get some more material to work with!   The bookmarks I made are drying then I will need to finish them too.  I plan to sew around the edges and maybe add a tassle but the only yarn I have right now is the store bought.  I might try to make ropes from the fiber and use that as a fringe maybe…  but if the next campaign is successful then I can order a ball of yarn to use to match the colors I do.  

I decided to use the sample yarn of the Navaho churro that the lady gave us to show the quality of the churro as a belt for the rest of the Tunis/shetland batt I have.  It is enough to make a skirt!  I will do it as a wraparound and do belt loops using maybe plastic  bags rolled and taped in the right size.  I am waiting to try that until I feel like I can make it beautiful.  

I will do more when I have the pics, but I am so excited and enjoying it!  I cant wait until I can get silk to Nuno felt with too!  

Go for your dreams!

hugs,

~Sea


Comments

Popular Posts