Fiber Arts

Fiber Arts

I got the spindle kit today!  yeah!  I am excited and practiced a bit with my navaho churro before attempting to use her pretty fibers included…  What I really liked about her kit was the variety of fibers, we get to try a couple to get a feel for the differences!  nice!

The Hippie Homemaker Deluxe Drop Spindle Kit




I have been busy…  The merino I ordered from the local farm in Fairbanks (if we can call hundreds of miles apart "local"  :p  ) is half carded now.  I need to wash the other one but look forward to it.  I like having control of the product this way.  I think when you wash it yourself, hand card it yourself then you feel it much better.  

This merino I mixed with angora rabbit fur but forgot to weigh it or keep track of the ration of merino to angora…  since I plan to use it to wet felt a skirt, I think it is ok, but I do need to get into the habit of tracking it and making notes.

If you follow me on Instagram you can see a lot of the fibers there.  I also bought some mohair from her and am amazed at how pretty it is.  I didn't think I would like it so much, but her grey mohairs were amazing!  I think I prefer the darker colors so if I got a goats for myself they would need to be silver/grey/black…

Oh man though, I am feeling so happy.  I washed the Tunis cross I had gotten with the navaho churro.  It was thrown in for free for the lady I got it from because it was second cuts and the lady wanted to try it anyway.  It is soft and nice but hard to hand card since it is seconds (meaning short pieces).  I put it aside until I can get the drum carder.  

I am awaiting an order of silk hankies and "waste" to make my skirt.  I plan on redoing the Kickstarter once I have that and see if I can raise some money that way by offering felted items since crocheted did not seem too popular  :p  

I cant decide whether to film me attempting to wet felt the skirt or not.  I am much happier on the other side of the camera but also want to show what we are doing too…  So I think I will set it up on the table in here and do it that way…  I think it is wider then this table and I had planned to do it on the floor so maybe will try that and see how that comes out and if needed we can move it to this table…

What kinds of hobbies do you do?

Are you following your dreams?

It is so important to go for it!  Life seems crazy and sometimes so scary with so much craziness happening, but for our own sense of self and mental health we need to keep positive and active.  

Hopefully that package comes soon and I can do the skirt.  I cant wait to try it!  I have been doing some and hope to get a bunch of merino to felt with soon!  It is hard sometimes to get started when everything costs so much!  But it is worth it and working slowly toward it makes you love it when you take that next step!

hugs,

~Sea


Comments

Popular Posts