My new Ladybug spinning wheel

My new Ladybug spinning wheel

I am so excited, it finally arrived!  It felt like an eternity, though it was just a few days!  I used a spinning wheel so long ago and I had hoped it was just like riding a bike... not quite...



 Here she is, my Beauty!



And here is zee Lady!




I dont know why I thought it would be so easy and I would be spinning like a dream within minutes of opening the box.  Was not quite that fast, but it is coming back to me and my yarn almost looks like real yarn now... heheeheh


My new drum carder should be here this next week!  woot!  I plan to do some dying this next week too once all the fibers get here.  I got a short clip of it, looks so funky still! 









Here is a good link to a trouble shooting page for new (or returning) spinners from Craftsy.

For me, adjusting the scotch tension took a bit but I finally got there.  It can seem like a nightmare but it actually can be resolved if you try to remember to adjust in tiny increments!

Another thing was it kept wanting to peddle backwards and my yarn would unwind and get caught at the end of the whorl!  Drove me crazy until I learned to stop once it began acting weird and spin backwards a moment.  It loosened the yarn so it slipped off the peg and I finally learned to stop and check it since I was so busy staring at my fingers and watching how I drafted it...

My yarn would break, which is a part of that tension adjustment learning experience and the only way to fix it is to just practice.  so much twist in one spot and not enough in another... lol, but I plan to add this yarn to a nuno felted scarf since it does create interesting texture even if I cant crochet with it!


I really love my new spinning wheel.  They say it is a beginner wheel but I think we will be together for a long, long time!  I almost got the Cassandra wheel, it is a $300 handmade wheel but the only problem is it takes a while to make by hand.  I did not have that kind of patience but if you want a new spinning wheel and are broke-ish it is an option!  I think it is better then that pvc kind since it is wood and looks pretty!  Plus it comes with a stylus so you can sort of long draft the old fashioned way, so cool! 

I am so glad I am back into the fiber arts and highly encourage you to give it a try!  Self sufficiency is a smart and frugal way of life and being from Attu, Alaska it is also a huge part of our lifestyle.  I am in such a good mood!  I plan to do some dying this coming week, wish me luck!

hugs,

~Sea
#fiber
#ladybugspinningwheel
#yarn
#spinning

Comments

Popular Posts