“Binge-worthy” or not…

 

Binge-worthy” or not…


Some of you know by reading my blog that I am developing several projects and one is a tv show (well several are tv shows) and I wonder about it being “binge worthy”. It is a new thing with channels like Netflix or boxed sets of shows that you can now sit and watch as many as you want in a row.



At first I thought I would try to make all of mine this way since it is the new style and we should adapt our ideas to fit what is there, right? But then I began to wonder about it. Some of my favorite shows are ones I can rewatch season 1 over and over again. I think because I am a director myself that I see how I would have done it differently so by season 2 I am going from loving the show to thinking it is “still good but…”


I think highly of shows that can blend the episodes so it does not feel like stop/start as you watch them. It was a goal of mine to keep this in the back of my mind as I create my episodes. While I want to make it “unique” to reflect my culture more and one good and easy way is the style of the movies and tv shows I have planned, I also want to “do it right”.


I just recently began watching some Asian tv dramas like “Yanxi Palace”, “Dr. Qin”, and most recently “Kingdom”. Having good characters, good visuals, attention to detail, and good stories is what I like about them.


Yanxi Palace is lavish and interesting but I find it harder and harder to rewatch the series. I love most of the characters, but the emperor’s character is one I detest so much that I just cant enjoy watching the beginning again knowing how it turns out. I saw it as “strong characters” and think it is a good thing. I mean, I did rewatch the series 3 times before I could not anymore.

5 Reasons Why You Should Watch The 'Story of Yanxi Palace'

 

 

Dr. Qin has only the first season available to us here in the usa and I half love the show and half wish I could go and redo it “better” :p The characters are good and quirky, the sets are nice, and good story. This one felt like they changed tactics partway through it. Like instead of “monster of the week” they wanted to have a serial killer vibe going and it felt like they changed course. Which makes me question it and wonder if they just decided the planned episodes were not good enough so threw them to season 2 and went a known path instead. 

 

 from "quirky"

Medical Examiner: Dr. Qin” Has Everything We Want In A Drama, And We Can't  Get Enough | Soompi 

 to "polished"

 Asian Drama Review: Medical Examiner Dr Qin (法医秦明) – Lil'V aka Viv Lu

Now we come to Kingdom! It is making me rethink my episodes and how I want to do it. It has tense moments and seems to play upon our fear and knowledge of other zombie ones like mine planned to. I find I cant quite binge it though, I paused 4 times in the first episode though partly to let my director mind process it better. It is that play upon what we expect I think they do so well! So I cant binge watch it as my mind races ahead to imagine what is coming next and that makes me love the show.

Netflix's Korean Series 'Kingdom' Season 2 Premieres on March 13 -  Cinecelluloid

So I find myself sitting here wondering which way to go, try for a binge-worthy one or try for one that makes you see all the scene wondering what will happen...I do love the challenge though!  I still plan to do my low budget horror movie "S'Happens" soon!  Hopefully it will be such amazing shows from my mind to your tv!! 



#Attu (my Home island)

#Unangax (My People)

#film #tvshows #binge-worthy

#director (my goals)

#creativity (my spark of inspiration)

 

 

Comments

  1. Hi there, I do think they are trying to make sure the story is there! I am watching season 1 again before going on to season 2. I think the most original ideas they had for the show happens in the first few episodes. It is why I love "season 1 episode 1" of so many TV shows I dont watch :p

    A lot of times I re-watch something to find out why exactly I went from loving the show to just liking it. Hoping I can find that moment or scene so I can hopefully avoid that in my own!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my thoughts...

Popular Posts