David Groat revisited

David Groat revisited

I absolutely love his work!  I got some pics off his page to show and explain what parts and why..  I was lucky enough to meet him and talk about my project and he agreed to make a few masks.  I so hope I can get the funding needed and commission enough for the complete look! 



Now this one...  the demons of the nether world will look something like this... 
by David Groat
 What I like about it is the expression, colors and hair!  Can you imagine walking toward the woods where you know there is a great berry bush and seeing this coming toward you....  is it your friend dressing up or a demon from another realm coming to trick you?  (while I say woods, the Aleutian islands are mostly treeless!  So maybe in a patch of tall grass, the hair blending it in, camouflage,  it moves, you hear that sound, knowing something is getting closer then this appears in front of you!)...

Since I cant afford all the masks I would like (yet), we will take a base one like this and then take the "look" and turn it into eye masks, etc.    Some will have the hair and top eye part since that should be easy to make, time consuming but relatively easy...  This is the masked look, when we see them in their own area they are unmasked, maybe face painted these colors or something we will figure out as we go..  These 3 films have only  a few scenes but the tv series spin off of the first one has them featured...  so it is a big cost up front but one that carries on for years..

So whoever he is, his minions will have masks or clothes to match his...  As he is the leader type he will have a few costumes that are fancy and all out and his minions will have copied his look where they can and with what they can...


*****

Now this is amazing!  When I met with David Groat, he was telling me about these...  they are called Whistlers...  given the right wind direction they actually make a noise through their mouths!  I so want one!!  or 2 or 3!!!

by David Groat

But as the mask, it is what I picure those in the Spirit realm wearing more like...  where the feel is more earthy and friendly then the nether realm....

 ************

Now this (if we could afford some this size) would be great for the Fates 4 and also for those whose job requires they be seen...

by David Groat
 I love the height of it, the wow factor is definitely there!  Plus, placement can really change it too...  imagine wearing it on the face for stature, then a minion might have the face part on more the belly area with the face peeking through the hole there... or it is a 2 headed creature like the totem poles you see in South Eastern Alaska!    




This is my favorite...  this I can see the demoness' wearing, maybe with feathers instead of fur in colors to signify where they rule or live...  volcano ones with fiery colored feathers, ocean ones with blue, etc..

by David Groat
I just love it so much!  The beading across the mask I especially love!  We can mimic that in the minions and humans!


***

Of course, these are not the ones in the movie, these are ones already sold...  but with luck and funding I can get some for the movies!  What is cool, is once other artists see I love the masks I am sure they will offer some too!  The variety will be good to show the vastness of these lands!  I would love some from other cultures, we have dozens and dozens up here! 

But once I get the masks I will build the looks from there...  while I have a basic idea of what I want, I want the artists themselves to design them...  I trust what they feel as they create them will be right for the films!   I wonder how hard it will be to get eye masks made off of the originals...   I can imagine the crafters will love the challenge!

One thing I look forward to in the special effects make up course!  learning to create this sort of thing with latex!  will be so amazing!!  I have been watching Youtube videos and am so excited and cant wait to try it firsthand!

Dream big or go home!!!  hehe, hopefully this small taste of my culture will make you curious and you will tell your friends about it and we can generate some interest so my funders will be happy and feel more confident in the project! 

hugs and see you again soon!  




Comments

  1. It's all coming together, slowly yet surely. :D We'll get there man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Dream big or go home', that was a cute shout. Man, the nether worlds looks so mysterious with all of those masks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my thoughts...

Popular Posts